Yvonne’s Tunisian Sweet Potato Stew
1/3 cup water
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
2 tsp minced fresh or bottled ginger
1 tsp minced fresh or bottled garlic
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (or cayenne)
1/8 tsp ground coriander
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 14.5 —oz cans chopped tomatoes or (1 large 28 oz can)
2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup green beans, cut in 1 —inch pieces (can use frozen)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (vegit or similar)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Place the water, onion, jalapenos, ginger and garlic in a large pot.
2. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add cumin, cinnamon, red pepper and coriander. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
4. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, green beans, vegetable broth and peanut butter.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
6. Stir in cilantro and let rest for 2 minutes. Serve over rice or other whole grains.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Resting time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes Servings: 6
Bible Text: Philippians 4:13
“I can do all things in him who strengthens me.”