Mary Anne’s Vegetable Biryani
3/4 cup dried green lentils
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp milk Biryani curry paste
¼ tsp each, salt and pepper
2 cups small cauliflower florets
1 cup basmati rice
¼ cup vegetable stock
1 cup green peas
¼ cup toasted almonds (optional)
¼ cup raisins
1. In a saucepan of boiling water, cook lentils for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat, sauté onion until golden.
3. Add carrots, garlic, curry paste, salt and pepper. Saute until fragrant – 3 minutes.
4. Stir in cauliflower, rice, raisins & lentils to coat.
5. Add stock and bring to boil.
6. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice & vegetables are tender, 20 minutes.
7. Stir in peas and warm through — 4 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds.
Bible Text: Genesis 1:29
“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”